1. Know your audience and write for them. It’s essential for the success of any text. Use the language they use, (fun, quirky, classy, Queen’s English – pick the one they prefer.) If you’re not sure how to define your customers, shoot me a message for a cheat sheet.
2. Set the end goal of your copy. Before starting to write anything, get a clear idea of what you want to achieve with your text – entertain, bring into action, educate, inform, give food for thoughts, create an intrigue, etc. When the end goal is defined, your writing process will be way more enjoyable and the results way more positive.
3. Create a clear text structure. Strong writing is not solely about finding the right words but also about arranging those words in the most visually appealing way. Craft your copy in a scannable/ easy to read way. Pay tons of attention to your headers, sub-headers and quotes. Structure the paragraphs clearly and mix sentences of different length. ALWAYS, always end your copy with a call to action.
4. CTA or Call To Action. Most of my clients made this mistake assuming that CTA is tacky. Well, it’s the opposite of a pushy (douchy marketing) salesy trick. It’s a courtesy. Your reader took his/her time to labour through your copy. Be polite enough to tell him/her why you wrote your piece and what you want your reader to do after finishing reading. Don’t leave them hanging & guessing what it was all about.
5. Be yourself. Your audience comes to your website & social media to hear what you have to say. Your customers buy your product for they share your brand’s vision, values and mission. Your clients hire you because they trust your opinion and expertise. Be authentically you.
Use this post as a checklist every time you start writing any copy.
Here is my curation of the biggest marketing trends according to Hubspot experts:
1. Short videos will prevail. The focus will be on “behind the scene” and educational content. Authenticity is central to customers in 2021, thus to marketing, too.
2. Customer-centricity will bring brands forward. Those who focus on the relationship with their customers, share their brand’s values and goals will propel forward. That’s why it’s crucial to have your brand’s pillars: voice, mission, vision, goals defined and set in stone. (DM me if you need help with this).
3. Content marketing will start with a conversation. Today’s audience wants to have an authentic experience with your brand. The way to create such is by starting an honest conversation.
4. Marketing circa 2021 is all about people, understanding their motives and talking to them in the right tone of voice using the right words.
5. The year 2021 will be the year of purposeful reinvention. If in 2020 we had to make a ‘panic pivot’, in 2021 those who aim to seize the opportunity will have to go through a reinvention and search for ways to engage even more with their core audience. And yes, the (written) content will be key.
6. Engagement. After the year of social distancing, working from home and lack of face-to-face contact, customers are looking for engagement. The brands that offer such will thrive the most. And, content is once again the key factor of success.
Think it through well, which marketing trends you need to follow to grow and prosper. But, whichever it is, it seems that engagement with your customer through the authentic and empathetic content is the crucial element.